Online Books for Kids
Inspired by their father who struggled to read and learn, a pair of brothers with a heart for children created HOOT! to provide online books that speak to children who are underrepresented in early childhood and elementary publishing.
- We all want to feel that we belong. All too often children feel that they are to blame when something goes wrong, or that no one else shares their problem. Belonging increases feelings of well-being, safety and comfort, and can help them cope with feelings they may not understand.
- Kids need to read stories relevant to them. Unfortunately, many children do not have access to books that reflect their diverse communities, varied family structures and differing levels of ability. Hearing stories about people that look, act, and feel like they do helps children understand their world and tackle the challenges they face.
When children see kids like themselves in HOOT! eBooks, this shared experience offers a sense of belonging. Belonging increases feelings of well-being, safety, and comfort, and can help them cope with feelings they may not understand.
Categories on the HOOT! reading app for kids
Curated Educational E-books for Kids
Carla Hillman Ratcliff, B.S. M.S. , C.A.L.T. Elementary Level Montessori
- Bachelor of Science ( B.S.) from Southern Methodist University, Dallas, TX; Master’s of Science (M. S. ) from University of Texas at Dallas, both degrees are in Speech / Language Pathology
- Learning Therapist certificate from Southern Methodist University
- Certified Academic Language Therapist (C.A.L.P.) through ALTA
- Elementary Level Montessori Certificate
She has been in the education field since 1976. Educating children with Learning Differences. She has taught both in schools and privately since that time. Her last and longest teaching assignment was to serve the Lower School children at the June Shelton School and Evaluation Center in Dallas Texas for the last 25 years. She currently enjoys her family, genealogy research, and private therapy.
I joined HOOT to be a part of an innovative team who provides books for children with emphasis on Social Skills for social and emotional development.